Your class has been discussing whether school/college leavers should be forced to do unpaid work if no paid jobs are available. You have made the notes below:
Arguments for and against forcing young people into jobs that are not paid:
- it gives young people the chance to gain valuable work experience.
- it would benefit society if more young people worked for the local community.
- companies would be exploiting young people as a cheap source of labour.
Some opinions expressed during the discussion:
- If the job needs doing the company should be prepared to pay for someone’s labour.
- Such a scheme would build confidence in young people who would otherwise be idle
- It would force young people into dead-end jobs
Write an essay discussing two of the arguments made for and/or against making young people do unpaid work.
You should explain which argument is more important, giving reasons in support of your answer.